Tuesday, 30 November 2010

Sticky situations!

So, had quite an experience lately with a photographer and a model.

I was booked to go and do makeup for a model who was doing a shoot just for fun, I have worked with the photographer on the odd occassion before and had very good experiences with her. Before the shoot, I was under the impression only one look would be done but when I got there I was told there will be a total of four different looks and I'd only quoted for one face.

It was a fun shoot so I didn't even bother asking for more money... but waited a couple of weeks to get paid, and I generally work on a strict cash on delivery system or an EFT before the time of the shoot - just to make sure I'm not messed around, but I hardly ever enforce this when I worked with either of the parties involved as I probably trust people too easily.

Anyway, after two weeks I was getting a little frustrated as all my calls, emails, and sms's were going unanswered, and suddenly my blackberry beeped to say that I had a message on facebook. It was from the model from the shoot asking if the photographer had paid me, and I told no because I hadn't heard from the photographer since the shoot. The model replied and told me the same, and that she had been promised images a week ago and all the sms's, calls, and emails were going unanswered.

Long story short, I finally got paid and it was just a complicated situation as to why I had not been paid, but I got paid a little bit extra by the photographer as I did 3 more looks than I had quoted, but once the model received the images from the photographer she had said that she is not going to pay for them as she doesn't believe they have been edited extensively enough, nor did the photographer do the promised editing that was spoken about while she was shooting, such as enhancing colours, removing pimples, etc etc.

Now the model had paid the deposit for the shoot, which was my money for the first look - minus the extra bit of money the photographer gave me. I don't know if I'd be compelled to give this money back to the photographer to make sure that the photographer is not totally out of pocket, but I feel like the fact that I was not told I was going to be there for 3 + hours, I should have in all honesty been paid a little bit more, if not triple what I had quoted...

Aye, the party never stops and the drama never ends in this industry. If only everyone would communicate correctly before and after a shoot there would be no drama whatsoever and everyone could build a bridge and get over it... If anything monumental happens in the mean time, I will keep this here blog posted, but I don't know anymore... It's a lot of fuss over an extra R50... What can you buy for R50 nowadays anyway... Not even a new MAC lipgloss! The tradgedy! :)

Until then,
Peace, love & Cupcakes

Flea

No comments: